Saturday, February 16, 2008

Harper Annalise's Birth Story

We arrived at the hospital on Tuesday, February 12th in our usual manner of running fashionably late. Having inside information, we knew my OB would be slightly behind and we weren't worried. Once we got checked in and I changed, I was hooked up to an iv, contraction monitor, and baby's heart rate monitor. Baby looked wonderful!! I was even having contractions every 3-5 minutes on my own. Family members begin arriving with my mom bringing sweet P a lil' later. I remember feeling so sorry for him when he came into the room. He looked so confused but immediately felt comfort by sitting next to me, hand propped on my big pg belly, drinking his milk. Everyone was so generous and remembered our special lil' guy. He had many gifts to open and lots of pp to play with to keep him company.

Time went quickly at this point. My anesthesiologist came in (the same one who did my c-section with Pierce), my doctor came in, and we were ready. After our goodbyes, lots of P snuggles, and hugs, we walked to the operating room. The spinal wasn't painful at all, just a lil' weird feeling like an epidural. Unfortunately as it set in, I felt like I couldn't breathe (like a heavy weight was sitting on my chest) and extremely nauseas. Apparently this is very common as it affects your blood pressure. I threw up several times throughout the procedure, but fortunately felt comfy during the important parts. I was so thankful when Mark came into the room. He immediately grabbed my hand and offered his reassurance.

It seemed to take forever for my doctor to announce her gender after she was born. As soon as her head was out, she started talking about her gorgeous black hair and how much she looked just like her big brother. Mark and I kept staring at each other, just waiting. She was crying--we were crying. And then our doctor announced the words we had been waiting to hear for 10 months, "It's a Harper!" My anesthesiologist dropped the drape and my doctor held our daughter up so we could see her for the very 1st time. And you all were right, exactly right--I fell in love immediately!! Mark went with her to get cleaned up while I was being stitched up, but not before kissing me and telling me how much he loved me. They brought her back to me shortly thereafter. She does look like P--a lot like P--except for she has very dark hair. She has many of the same features as Pierce, but they are dainty and feminine. She even has the same gorgeous blue eyes. She was born at 10:41 am weighing 5 pounds 10 ounces, 18 inches long with a head circumference of 13 inches. We named her Harper (after Harper Lee the author of To Kill a Mockingbird) Annalise (Anna after Mark's mother's middle name). She's itty bitty, but she's perfect. She scored 9 and 9 on her Apgars.

Mark and Harper then went to the nursery while my doctor finished up. Mark announced the gender to our families in a very special way (he hadn't previously discussed with me how he planned to tell them). Everyone was waiting at the window in the nursery. Harper was wearing a very unassuming pink and blue striped hat. He walked up to the window, looked at P, tapped the glass, and said, "You have a sister!"

After being in recovery for a short while, they brought Harper to me to nurse. She latched on immediately. We had a very nice nurse who allowed Mark to bring Pierce in the recovery room to meet his sister for the 1st time. My mom brought him in, he looked at Harper, shook his head "no", and said "down" to go play. I knew it would take some time for him to warm up.

The rest of our hospital stay passed with lots of visitors. It was very special for us to be surrounded by family and loved ones. P visited often and was given a lot of special attention.

My recovery is going smoothly. The 1st day I spent mostly nauseas. However, after some medicine tweaking, I felt fine. I was up and walking around midnight the 1st day. It was painful and sore at 1st, but the more I walk the better I feel. I am literally on cloud 9. I mean honestly, what more could I ask for??!! I have an adoring husband who is an amazing, loving man and father. And God has blessed our lives with two beautiful, healthy babies--a prince and a princess!!

We came home late Thursday morning on Valentine's Day. Mark and P brought me 2 dozen red roses (my fave) and a dozen red roses for Harper. Between a few visitors , we got caught up on some much needed sleep that afternoon. We go for a weight check (b/c she's exclusively BF) on Monday. Harper is a nursing champ (she only lost 5 ounces in the hospital) and an excellent sleeper (I have to wake her to eat) already. I had most of my staples taken out on Friday. There were a few that weren't quite ready to take out yet, so Mark will take them out tomorrow. We went shopping yesterday afternoon for PINK--Harper is so tiny that even her newborn clothes don't fit--she needs preemie size clothing and diapers. We had a birthday party today to celebrate with Mark's family.

P is slowly warming up to his new sister. At 1st, he really didn't want anything to do with her. He largely ignored her. Wednesday though he started calling her by her name. "Hahpah or "Bapah". He smiles really big and claps when he says it--he knows it makes us happy. Thursday he started blowing her kisses, playing peek a boo with her, and even pointing out her body parts such as eyes (ever so gently), ears, nose, mouth, head, hands, feet, etc. When we leave the room and come back, he points to her bouncy seat and pats the inside of it for us to put her there. Once she's there, he says uh-oh and runs to turn it on for her. Yesterday, he started giving Harper her paci. He's already an amazing big brother looking out for his baby sister. And yes, he is big. He seems to have grown up so much physically and emotionally in just a few short days. I couldn't be more proud of my sweet P!!

My family cannot thank you enough for your prayers and well wishes. They truly mean the world to us!!

And here are pics of our sweet baby girl:

No comments: