Tuesday, June 26, 2007

nursing update

I went ahead and started cutting back on feeds. Before I had posted, P had already dropped 1/5 feeds. I dropped another feed every 4-5 days. Pierce has handled them all suprisingly well. He still pulls on my shirt and signs milk when it is time to nurse, but distraction seems to be working. He has only cried 2 times (yesterday and Sunday) and I cried with him. We are now down to nursing just at morning and night. Mark worked with my OB this morning and was able to talk to her. She said that she is from the school of thought that at 13 months, the nutritional value of breast milk is very low and wouldn't want to divert any nutrients from our growing bean. That while she doesn't consider it optimal, it isn't harmful. Mark asked her about keeping the night feed for a while. Again, she said he isn't get much nutritionally from my milk at this age but does see it as a bonding relationship. She is okay with us continuing the night feed. So seriously, how much is our bean really missing out on nutritionally from 1 feed?? Plus, how do I know my bean is okay from the 5 weeks I breastfed 5 times a day?? I just wanna make sure I am doing what is best for both my little ones!!

No comments: