Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Disciplining a 2 year old

We've had one of THOSE days today. Pierce is 2. I understand tantrums are to be expected. I understand his favorite word is going to be no. I understand he's trying to assert his independence. He's a good kid, he really is. I know I'm biased, but he is smart as a whip (knows how to count 1-10, knows his ABCs, knows all his colors, etc., etc.).

The problem is that he isn't listening/obeying. He deliberately does things he knows he isn't supposed to do. He has also gotten very physical. Throwing things, hitting, etc. He's starting to whine a lot too. I encourage him to use his words.

Today was the last straw............he threw a baseball, yes a REAL baseball at Harper today while I was nursing her. It hit her right in the eye and now she has a black eye. :( Poor thing screamed so loud, Pierce started crying, I started crying. It was a mess. I don't think he really meant to hurt her (he's still learning how to interact with her, be gentle, etc), but I just can't allow him to beat her up. We've been doing time out and logical consequences. I feel like I threaten him with time out all day long and then when I do send him to time out, he comes right out and does the same exact thing that I sent him to time out for. I won't spank, I just won't. I don't believe it's effective in the long run. My patience is testing me and I need help..............my degree in elementary education is failing me....... :(

No comments: