Monday, October 6, 2008

endocrinologist appt

I love my new doc!!

And not just b/c he told me what I was hoping to hear--but b/c he's reasonable and has lots of experience. He agrees with my PCP in that I for sure have Hashimoto's. He does think that I may have a bit of post partum thyroiditis along with Hashimoto's b/c of how fast my TSH has come down w/ such a low dosage of meds. But he is certain that I do in fact have Hashimoto's b/c of how extremely elevated my antibodies were, my thyroid u/s, and the texture of my thyroid.

He thinks my weight loss is related to my metabolism being in a lull for so long, and now that my thyroid is being corrected, my weight is adjusting to how it would be with a normally functioning thyroid. He believes that in the next few weeks my weight should stabilize (I sure hope so--I weigh a whopping 97 pounds fully clothed right now phooey). If I continue to lose, he said then we would need to start running a few tests to see if I'm having any malabsorption problems, namely Celiac's Disease. However, I don't have any sxs of this, so he said this was unlikely (but that sometimes Celiac's can occur with Hashimoto's).

I'm going to the lab tomorrow to have my TSH, antibodies for Hashimoto's, and T4 drawn. Also he's having them draw a Celiac work up to rule it out. He'll call in about 5 days or so with the results. I am scheduled to see him again in January.

He strongly implied I need to let my body recover from 2 closely spaced pregnancies. He actually suggested we wait until 2010 for baby #3 (or at least until my throid is regulated ).
And like my PCP, he'd really like to raise my meds but doesn't want to at this time b/c of my weight loss. He said he would take me off the meds altogether, but that it could lead to a possibly irreversible enlarged goiter that would need to be surgically removed. Therefore he wants to keep me on a low dose of meds to keep my thyroid slightly under active (since I'm asymptomatic) b/c of my weight loss.

Once my weight stabilizes, we may increase my meds to get my TSH numbers where they should be. He said he'd really like to see me between 100-105 pounds. He suggested drinking 1 can of Ensure or Boost per day.

And for all of those labs my other endo was sending me out for--all perfectly normal and no cause for any concern!! Thankfully, I now have a doctor who is on the same page as my PCP and me. He, too, said I was an interesting case ("so I've been told", I replied). But now we have a reasonable game plan that doesn't involve a ton of unnecessary lab tests.


No comments: