Harper's done nursing. I've tried nursing her several times a day since last Saturday but she just flat out refuses. It's hurtful when she rejects me so I've decided to stop trying. I've had to pump for comfort sake (she went from nursing 3-5 times a day to zero) to relieve engorgement. I'm trying to decide if I should continue to pump for a while since she'll happily take EBM from a cup. I called our ped yesterday to find out if there is any real benefit to BM at this age. She said there is "no significant amt of research showing any benefits in BM AFTER a year old". So, what would you do? Continue pumping for a sippy or stop altogether and celebrate with a glass of wine? Please note I'm not blogging about this to create any drama. I've just racked my brain and emotions trying to figure out what is best. I have incredible amounts of guilt and am very sensitive about this. I just wasn't prepared for weaning at all. Just last week I was telling Mark, I didn't think Harper would ever self wean like pierce did. It was so unexpected and out of nowhere. I feel like I let her down. I just keep trying to remind myself we quit on her terms. the guilt is amazingly strong. I just wasn't prepared for this at all. Just last week I was telling Mark, I didn't think Harper would ever self wean like pierce did. It was so unexpected and out of no where. I feel like I let her down. I just keep trying to remind myself we quit on her terms. I am very proud of us!
ETA: Our ped didn't say there were zero benefits from nursing past a year. She just indicated that the majority of benefits are received in the 1st year. I am well aware of the benefits of extended bfing which is why I choose to let my babies self wean. I do not want this to become a debate (or an attack on our ped who happens to be very pro bfing).
No comments:
Post a Comment